Level 5 Diploma in Paramedic Science (QCF)
This qualification reflects the role of pre-hospital and out-of-hospital workers employed by various ambulance authorities, the private sector to provide patient assessment, healthcare and transport services. These workers possess clinical skills and theoretical knowledge and provide clinical assessment and pre-hospital and out-of-hospital interventions to patients in an emergency, including providing advanced skills in life support. This qualification applies to a variety of roles including paramedic and emergency medical technician.
We place a strong focus on the delivery of quality paramedic care within our contemporary society, taking into account rapid changes within the profession, from increasing medical technology to public awareness of healthcare issues.
The Level 5 Diploma in Paramedic Science program will give you the professional knowledge and clinical assessment skills you need to become a confident, autonomous paramedic working within the emergency environment.
· Patient assessment and management
· Clinical skills
· Psychology and communication
· Sociology of health and illness
· Health policy
· Health promotion
· Medical design and technology
· Clinical / professional studies
To give you an understanding of the contributions that all professions make to patient care, some of your studies will be with students from other healthcare professions.
Evidence-based practice and research
A sound understanding of evidence-based practice and research is a fundamental part of your training and throughout the Level 5 Diploma in Paramedic Science degree, your theoretical studies will be interspersed with a series of practice placements around the world except UK.
Why choose this course?
· Your learning experience is constructed from 12 years of professional leadership in paramedic education and development, specifically designed to support your studies and enhance your work experience.
· The Level 5 Diploma in Paramedic Science degree is the first nationally to integrate your full paramedic training to the DETC Health and Care Professions Council registration standards within a full-time degree programme.
Eligibility to apply for registration with the DETC Accreditation Council as a qualified Paramedic, enhancing your employability.
Throughout the programme some study is undertaken with other undergraduate health care professionals, which develops your understanding of common areas of health care delivery.
This programme gives you flexibility in your studies at university resulting in flexibility in your choice of career at the end of your course. You will acquire a much broader base of knowledge and experience that could really widen your employment opportunities. Graduates have found employment in diverse roles such as computer programmers, design engineers, management development specialists, accountants and project managers. Over 72% of our graduates had entered employment six months after graduation, and a further 17% had gone on to further study or training.
You'll experience a wide variety of learning styles on this course. During your studies you'll develop your capacity for self-directed study and your interpersonal skills. We particularly emphasise the importance of structured research; well-prepared written and verbal presentations; and computer literacy.
Alongside elements of standard lectures, seminars, tutorials and laboratories, you also learn through case studies, individual and group projects and other student centred activities. In your final year you will normally have the opportunity to practice your independent study skills by completing a Major project or dissertation.
Work Placement Practice placement
Throughout your Level 5 Diploma in Paramedic Science degree, practice placements will be interspersed giving you the all important valuable work experience you need on graduation.
Placements will give you the opportunity to link theoretical knowledge you gain via lectures and seminars with your practical experiences, providing you with a complete understanding and application of patient care practices.
This strongly enhances your employability skills.
· Core Modules
· An Introduction to Interprofessional Education
· Anatomy and Physiology for Paramedics 1a
· Anatomy and Physiology for Paramedics 1b
· Behavioural and Social Issues for Paramedics
· Patient Assessment and Management I
· Practice Education I
· Core Modules
· Evidence Based Practice and Research
· Pathophysiology for Paramedics 2a
· Pathophysiology for Paramedics 2b
· Patient Assessment and Management II
· Practice Education II
· Professional and Contemporary Issues in Paramedic Practice