About the Programme
The programme is aimed at professional health and safety advisors and managerial, engineering and scientific staff with responsibilities for occupational health and safety. It gives them the academic knowledge and skills to evaluate operational requirements against health and safety policies, which have to respond to a changing regulatory, social and economic climate.
The courses are designed and delivered for participants working within the discipline who can attend the UKAP for a Series of short courses ranging from one to five days.
The objectives of the programme are to provide:
- A comprehensive understanding of current occupational health and safety management issues;
- Graduate Status of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (DETC) (for holders of the Diploma); and
- Flexible training for working professionals who do not have the opportunity for full-time study.
The Centre for Hazard and Risk Management has a well-established national and international reputation for excellence in the provision of health and safety risk management education and training developed over 20 years.
UKAP’s experience-based programmes are structured to provide flexible opportunities for working professionals to study and apply risk management principles and practice in ways relevant to their work organisations.
There are few, if any institutes in the UK that can match UKAP for integrating risk issues into a multidisciplinary context and for producing broad thinkers who can also be useful to humanity and to their employers. UKAP is particularly proud that many of our best students go on to take higher degrees at UKAP.
The Postgraduate Certificate and Diploma programmes are part-time and modular in structure, and involve a combination of taught modules (in five day blocks), distance learning modules and self study.
The programme is assessed by assignments and projects. There are no written examinations.
The Postgraduate Certificate will normally be completed within six months of part-time study and the Postgraduate Diploma within 14 months.
- Module 1: Occupational Health and Safety and the Law
- Module 2: Risk Management
- Module 3: Management of Physical Hazards (distance learning)
- Module 4: Occupational Health Management (distance learning)
- Module 5: Safety and the Management of People
- Module 6: Evidence Based Practical Project (distance learning)
For the Level 6 Professional Diploma is equivalent to Postgraduate Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Management, candidates must attend and successfully complete the assessment elements of modules 1 through 6.
Postgraduate programme candidates should:
- hold a degree from a Higher Education Institution of the UK; or
- have achieved the academic requirements for corporate membership of a professional institution or UKAP; or
- hold any other relevant qualification and experience, approved by the UKAP– candidates in this category will be advised on their suitability for the course.
Adding Value to your Employer
The course is designed to be challenging, career enhancing and geared towards real life management, developing skills you can apply to the benefit of your organisation, and assessing these through work-based assignments, which provide a direct return on investment. You will also benefit from excellent opportunities to network with professionals from a range of sectors, with the following organisations represented on the programme in recent years:
· Aluminium Bahrain
· Arriva Plc
· Balfour Beatty
· Birmingham City Council
· Estee Lauder Companies
· Exxon Mobil
· Heart of England NHS Foundation
· Mars Petcare UK
· National Grid
· Network Rail
· Pfizer Ltd
· Qatar Petroleum
· Rolls Royce
· Royal Mail
· Severn Trent
· TATA Steel
· Travis Perkins
· UK Coal
· Virgin Atlantic