UKAP Qualification Number: UK61630692
DETC Code of reference no. DT600544741
The Level 4 Professional Diploma in Business Information Technology makes up the first year of the UKAP degree journey. The qualification is equivalent to the first year of an IT degree in the UK university system.
You will be given the opportunity to develop essential thinking and study skills in IT and business through a balance of academic and vocational subjects. You will be able to contribute to the development of computer systems and networks, databases and websites in a business context, whilst also developing an awareness of business needs. The qualification will allow you to understand and enter the IT and business profession with the necessary knowledge expected within the industry and the ability to apply the skills to a range of IT-related functions.
On successful completion of the qualification you will be able to embark on UKAP's Level 5 Diploma in Business Information Technology, which is equivalent to the second year of a UK Bachelor's degree, transfer to a university or pursue a career in the IT industry.
UKAP is regulated by Distance Education and Training Council to award the Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF) in England. DETC Qualification reference number DT600544741.
For entry onto the UKAP qualification you must have at least one of the following:
- UKAP International Foundation Year (IFY) or Level 3 Diploma in (QCF) qualification.
- An international qualification which is deemed to be of a similar level to the UKAP IFY or qualification. This must be agreed with UKAP in advance.
- Mature students need to demonstrate over two years' relevant work experience and also hold O' level/GCSE English and Maths or equivalent.
If you're a potential student whose first language is not English, you will need to obtain a valid score of 5.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination or equivalent. Alternatively, take the free UKAP Higher English Placement Test, which is administered by our Accredited Partner Centres. This may not apply in your country, please contact us to check whether you require IELTS.
You must study the following eight core units:
- Skills for Computing - provides the essential skills for a computing student (study, presentation, report-writing and data handling). Not only will this unit prepare you for successful outcomes in your studies, but it will also provide you with skills that can be applied in the workplace.
- Computer Networks - networking and communication skills are vitally important in today's connected world. In this unit you will develop a good understanding of basic theory, but will also develop useful practical skills.
- Computer Systems - addresses the development of practical skills in the configuration, maintenance, fault-finding and trouble- shooting of modern computer systems and develops knowledge of computer architecture.
- Designing and Developing a Website - develops practical skills in website design by providing a detailed understanding of markup languages, style sheets, design techniques and testing.
- Databases - provides thorough training in practical techniques of the design and development of database systems together with developing a sound understanding of the underpinning theory.
- eBusiness - gives you the opportunity to examine how organisations can use all aspects of eBusiness to create new products and services, reduce the cost of existing business processes and improve the efficiency of their operations using typical revenue models.
- Essentials of Management - covers the principles and functions of management, teaching you the key elements in planning and decision-making and the significance of different controls required in an organisation.
- Understanding Business Organisations - provides an introduction to the objectives, roles, functions and various forms of business organisation as they adapt to a dynamic and changing environment, and also considers information and technology in regards to efficiency and performance.
Assessment and Examination
Assessments for all units are offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. All units are assessed by both examination and assignments.
On successful completion of UKAP's Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF) you will be able to fully demonstrate a clear understanding of computing systems. You will also gain a solid foundation and a breadth of knowledge in business which will allow you to implement effective strategies for research and lifelong learning.
The qualification allows entry onto the DETC Level 5 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF), which is equivalent to the second year of a UK Bachelor's degree, or enables you to pursue a career in the IT and business industry.